Giới từ (Prepositions) không chỉ giới hạn ở in, on, at mà ngoài ra các giới từ này còn kết hợp với danh từ trở thành một cụm từ. Thế nên, đôi khi chúng dễ gây lầm lẫn trong cách dùng. Trong bài viết này, chúng ta sẽ học cách phân biệt On time với In time và At the end với In the end.
On time = không trễ, đúng giờ
On time thường dùng cho những sự việc đã được lên lịch trình trước đó, nên sẽ thường đi với những từ chỉ sự bắt đầu và kết thúc. Đồng thời, khi sử dụng cụm On time, người viết/nói muốn nhấn mạnh đến sự đúng giờ.
- The 2:30 train left on time. (= it left at 2:30)
- The online test will start on time, at 6pm.
In time (for something / to do something) = soon enough : vừa đúng lúc, vừa kịp giờ (không trễ)
Khi dùng In time, chúng ta không xác định được chính xác thời gian cụ thể mà chỉ dựa vào hành động đi kèm để xác định xem có đúng giờ hay không.
- Will you be home in time for dinner? (= soon enough for dinner)
- I had set up everything for my girlfriend’s birthday party. I hope I will arrive in time. (= on or before her birthday)
- I missed the chance to get the scholarship because I didn’t submit my application in time. ( = on or before the deadline)
Trái nghĩa với In time là Too late (quá trễ)
- I was too late for the countdown.
- We got to the station just in time for our train.
- I misread the deadline for my final project, but fortunately, I just finished it in time.
At the end (of something) = at the time when something ends: thời điểm sự việc kết thúc, điểm cuối của sự vật/sự việc
At the end thường đi kèm với giới từ Of
- at the end of January
- at the end of the film
- at the end of the course
- I’m going away at the end of January / at the end of the month.
- At the end of the concert, everyone applauded.
- The players shook hands at the end of the game.
Trái nghĩa với At the end là At the beginning
I’m going to France at the beginning of May. (not in the beginning)
In the end = finally: cuối cùng, kết quả cuối cùng, phần sau cùng của sự việc
- We had a lot of problems with our assignments. We sold them in the end. (= finally we sold it)
- Alan couldn’t decide what to eat for dinner. He chose pizza in the end. (not at the end)
- He lost his temper. In the end, thanks to others’ advice, he calmed down.
Trái nghĩa với In the end là At first
At first, I didn’t know how to start the washing machine, but in the end, we figured out how it worked.
A. Complete the sentences with On time or In time.
1 The bus is usually on time, but it was late this morning.
2 The film was supposed to start at 8.30, but it didn’t begin_____________ .
3 The train service isn’t very good. The trains are rarely _____________ .
4 We nearly missed our train. We got to the station just _____________ .
5 We want to start the meeting_____________ , so please don’t be late.
6 I’ve just washed this shirt. I want to wear it this evening, so I hope it will be dry _____________.
7 I almost forgot that it was Joe’s birthday. Fortunately I remembered _____________ .
8 Why are you never _____________? You always keep everybody waiting.
9 It is hoped that the new stadium will be ready _____________ for the tournament later this year.
2 on time
|3 on time||4 in time||5 on time|
|6 in time||7 in time||8 on time|
9 in time
B. Write sentences using In the end. Use the verb in brackets.
1 We had a lot of problems with our car. (sell)
In the end, we sold it.
2 Anna got more and more fed up with her job. (resign)
3 I tried to learn Japanese, but I found it too difficult. (give up)
4 We couldn’t decide whether to go to the party or not. (not / go)
2 In the end she resigned (from her job). or She resigned (from her job) in the end.
3 In the end I gave up (trying to learn Japanese / learning Japanese). or I gave up (learning Japanese) in the end.
4 In the end, we decided not to go (to the party). or In the end, we didn’t go (to the party). or We decided not to go (to the party) in the end. or We didn’t go (to the party) in the end.
C. Put in at or in.
1 I’m going away at the end of the month.
2 It took Gary a long time to find work. ____ the end he got a job as a bus driver.
3 I couldn’t decide what to buy Amy for her birthday. I didn’t buy her anything ____ the end.
4 I’m going away ____ the end of this week.
5 We waited for ages for a bus. ____ the end we had to get a taxi.
6 ____ the end of the lesson, all the students left the classroom.
7 We had a few problems at first but ____ the end everything was OK.
8 You were in a difficult position. What did you do ____ the end?
9 The journey took a very long time, but we got there ____ the end.
10 Are you going away ____ the beginning of August or the end?
|3 in||4 at||5 in||6 at|
|6 at||7 in||8 in||9 in|
10 at … at
Xem thêm các bài viết về IELTS tại đây!